So, you want to own a website huh, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this. A good website is a mixture of good design, readability,valuable content etc, and it all depends on your website’s purpose. If you want to build a good website,i have some basic do’s that when you follow, you will be on the right path.
These are the do’s that you should follow when you are building your website.
- What is it that you want to accomplish with your site. This is the most difficult question to answer. Every business has what is called a mission, what is the mission of this website you want to set up. A mission doesn’t have to be complex, it can be a statement that clearly defines what you want to do with your website. All businesses have mission statements, so should you. A mission will serve as a guide to keep you in track and help you stay focused on your goal.
- Wire-framing is very important. You shouldn’t just jump into coding your html without proper sketches. Sketches help you figure out the entire design before you mess things up. You get to understand:
- how your site is going to be laid out
- relationships between various content of a page or between pages
- colors and buttons
- Images, etc.
Once your wire-frames are up and running, and you love your visuals, start coding.
- Usability. Check If your website is easy to navigate. Ask yourself these questions.
- Is the content flowing?
- Are all parts of your pages or content easy to get to?
- Is your site easy to navigate?
- Do your visitors find your content logically organized.
Never give your site visitors any hustle figuring out how to go from A to Z otherwise they say good bye and never turn back. A customer lost is money lost.
- Bench-marking. Look at your competitors, see what they are doing, how their website is laid out, look at their content, presentation and find your space. The best ideas are obtained through looking at another person’s work.
- Spend a significant amount of time working on your articles. High Value content is king on the internet. This is the only one most important thing that will keep your visitors coming back for more. If you are an Affiliate marketer and you give out value content to your visitors then, cash-flow if your everyday clothing.
What gives your content value? This is one question that you must ask yourself before you push that publish button on your website. To clearly answer this question, answer the following questions:
- Does your article address a need or problem of your visitor(s)?
- Are you providing a solution to your visitor’s problem?
If you answered Yes to these two questions above, I applaud you creating value content. I guess I just defined what Value Content is. valuable content makes contributes to a good website.
Don’t be an amateur.
Yes! Don’t be an Amateur. It is easy to be one and it is also easy to be professional when it comes to owning websites. If you dare follow the above tips, you are surely moving in a road to success.
Finally, never ever do these things:
- Color Blocking. A very big No! except maybe you if are an artist or that kind of a designer. Select colors that blend in together. Too many colors will make you look like an amateur. Google for color swatches to help you choose your website colors.Adobe color when formerly known as Adobe Kuler can help you out and there are a lot of android apps these days specifically to serve that purpose. Benchmark for colors. Good websites are comprised of good colors.
- Using a lot of fonts. Never use too many fonts for your site. Two fonts are considered good practice, for example you could choose to use google font’s Roboto for headings and Lato for paragraphs.
- Too long Articles is a big No! make sure your articles are very short. For good SEO, a 300-word article is good. Of course, articles might get long depending on subject being covered, but try and limit the number of your longer articles to a minimum. You could consider breaking your longer articles into multiple articles with part 1, 2, etc.
- Huge Paragraphs. Never! Bad readability is not for good websites. Break your big paragraphs into smaller paragraphs. Use headers after a few paragraphs, use bullet points, italicized text, bold text to stress out important points. Readers skim through your text and you do not want them to miss thee important points.
In closing, go out there and rock the internet with great websites that bring value to your visitors, build websites that easily market themselves, convert into sales and bring you cash-flow.